Interested in volunteering as a food rescue courier or contributing other skills to help Boulder Food Rescue create a more just and less wasteful food system?
Help us get to know you by filling out our Volunteer Form.
Welcome and thank you for your interest in volunteering for us.
To get started we ask that you:
- Please review our volunteer guidelines.
- Submit a filled Volunteer intake form.
- Watch our 2 video instructional videos to get an idea of our approach. You will receive links to our Food Sorting Module and Robot Software Instructional once the intake form is submitted.
- Lastly, we will reach out to set up a time for a meet & greet virtual call to finalize the onboarding process.
- Food Redistribution Courier Volunteer Shifts
- Our primary volunteer opportunity is direct service involving sorting and redistributing rescued food. As a courier volunteer, you will go to a grocery store donor, sort out perishable food they have set aside for us, compost what is non-edible, and bike or drive the quality food to the designated recipient site. We have over ten shifts per day, including weekends. A shift typically takes 1-2 hours. There are detailed, specific instructions for each shift in our software which you will be given access to after completing onboarding. You will use one of our bikes and trailers if you choose to bike, and we provide optional bike training if you would like.
- You can take a weekly shift, or sign up to be on our contact list to fill in for shifts last minute as they come up!
- Interested? Please fill out this form!
- Tools and Tires Team (3T)
- If you’re knowledgeable and passionate about basic bike maintenance and interested in volunteering, our Tools and Tires Team (3T) may be the opportunity for you! 3T members help us keep our bikes at our donor sites in good working condition for courier volunteers to safely use.
- You can sign up for a regular weekly check-in for the bikes at any donor site. If interested, please email [email protected]
- Maintenance Team
- Our maintenance team is comprised of avid cyclists who are extremely skilled and knowledgeable about bikes. They train our 3T members, ensure repairs are done properly, and check on our bikes around town regularly.
- If you think the Maintenance Team could be a good fit for you, inquire further by emailing [email protected].
- BFR is in need of high-quality photos of all of our operations and events. If you are a photographer interested in helping us capture the visual story of the work that BFR does throughout the community please email [email protected].
- Community Engagement Team:
- Help us tell the story of BFR through community outreach efforts. We are looking for more members of our Community Engagement Team to support us with educational events, tabling, and speaking engagements. To get involved, email [email protected]
- Fundraising & Events
- Want to help us fundraise? Cool! We always need funds to help sustain this work. You can set up a fundraiser on your personal Facebook, create an email to send to your friends or host a party at your house. We have tools and resources for all of these opportunities:
- Event Planning: We always need volunteers to help coordinate, conduct outreach for our silent auction, or show up for our event. If you are interested, please email [email protected]
- Have other skills you are excited to share with BFR?
- Groups and one-time food redistribution shifts: